- October 19, 2022
- Posted by: EBAN Team
- Category: News
We are glad to announce that yet another very successful edition of the European Angel Investment Summit was concluded on the 11th and 12th of October 2022!
As always, the Summit was a glimpse into the future of angel investing and here you can read the main takeaways from the 2022 edition:
- The fundamental role Business Angels play in advancing innovation. Commissioner for the Economy Paolo Gentiloni stated “Business Angels are crucial in nurturing startups in their earliest and most vulnerable stages. They provide a unique package of finance, mentorship and networks”.
- Technology as an enabler for angel investor communities to increase their investment activity, including across borders, and allowing more private individuals to enter the startup investment asset class.
- Europe’s unique advantage compared to the rest of the world when it comes to science driven innovation. Investment in deeptech and science driven startups will generate solutions to the major challenges, such as climate change, which our society faces. The relationship between universities/research centers and private investors must be improved as angel investors are ideal partners to accelerate technology transfer.
- Nurturing investor and startup networks across Europe as a key factor in the years to come if we wish to see more scaleups and unicorns on our continent. Europe must embrace collaboration and the “let’s do it together” culture.
- Diversity and inclusion as essential in the startup and investment ecosystem and ways to increase it across Europe. We are especially proud of presenting the EBAN Manifesto For a Gender Balanced Angel Investing Ecosystem. Sign it to support us in our fight for gender equality!
- The growth of Angel Investment in Europe, with 90% growth of investment y-o-y and 20% growth in terms of the business angel population. For more information, read the EBAN Statistics Compendium 2021.
- Ways for the EU to bring down the barriers to start new businesses, grow them across borders, and incentivize early-stage investors to support them. Harmonization of legislative frameworks across Member States will be key in achieving this.
We would also like to congratulate the two winning startups that stood out among the 31 companies that pitched at the Summit:
- Swaplanet won the pitching competition “Innovation Showcase” where a total of 15 startups from all over Europe pitched. It is a Greek company invested in by the Hellenic Business Angels Network – HeBAN, EBAN member and #EBANAthens Congress co-organiser.
- Interstellar Lab was the winner of the “ScaleUp of the Month” competition featuring 6 companies. For all those interested in investing in Interstellar Lab via the EBAN Space – Interstellar Lab SPV, thank you for expressing your interest to Ted Elvhage, Member of the EBAN Space Executive Committee at email@example.com with EBAN Director of Secretariat, Jacopo Losso, firstname.lastname@example.org in copy.
We are also delighted to announce that the new EBAN Board for the term 2022-2024 was elected during the European Angel Investment Summit. The new Board of Directors will consist of the following organisations:
- Finnish Business Angel Network, represented by Janne Jormalainen, who will continue as EBAN President
- Austrian Angel Investors Association, represented by Selma Prodanovic, who will continue as the EBAN Vice President
- Danish Business Angels, represented by Jesper Jarlbæk, who will continue as Treasurer
- Angels Santé, represented by Caroline Sai
- Asociación Española de Business Angels Networks, represented by Marta Huidobro
- Axel – Georgian Business Angel Network, represented by Guri Koiava
- BiD Capital Partners, represented by Huseyin R Demirhisar
- Business Angel Network Catalunya, represented by Albert Colomer
- Business Angels of Slovenia, represented by Nina Dremelj
- Cobin Angels, represented by Robert Lugowski
- Corenvest Oy, represented by Audra Shallal
- CorkBIC, represented by Michael O’Connor
- DEPO Ventures, represented by Petr Šíma
- Estonian Business Angels Network, represented by Lev Dolgatsjov
- Hellenic Business Angel Network, represented by Panayiotis (Panos) H. Ketikidis
- IM Capital, represented by Nicolas Rouhana
- International Investor Organization INVESTORO, represented by Vitaly Polekhin
- Invicta Angels, represented by Ricardo Luz
- Latvian Business Angels Network, represented by Helmuts Lejnieks
- Lithuanian Business Angel Network, represented by Rita Sakus
- Monte Carlo Capital, represented by Ian Sosso
- Sophia Business Angels, represented by Marcel Dridje
- STOAF, represented by Christine Bjärkby
You can see great photos from the European Angel Investment Summit and the newly elected EBAN Board of Directors here.
See you at the EBAN Athens Annual Congress!