June 1, 2017
Reports on Angel Activity in Canada by NACO
NACO‘s annual Reports on Angel Investing Activity in Canada identify key statistics and trends in the visible Canadian Angel capital market as measured by the activity of Angel groups. The data for the report was provided by Canadian Angel group managers through surveys and follow-up interviews. Using the answers of Angel group managers, NACO compiled data sets on (i) Angel groups, (ii) investments by Angel groups, and (iii) exits of companies backed by Angel groups.
Since 2010, the report has captured 1413 investments, in 773 companies. This represents more than a remarkable $560 million injected into the Canadian entrepreneurial ecosystem, with over $290 million invested over the last two years.
2016 Report on Angel Investing Activity in Canada Key Findings
The 2016 Report on Angel Investing Activity in Canada, the seventh of its kind, is released in partnership with Industry Canada, BDC Capital, RBC and Ryerson’s Incubate Innovate Network of Canada (I-INC).
- 35 Angel groups across Canada, representing 3300 active Angels made 418 investments amounting to $157.2 million
- A majority of Angels (80%) are located in Central Canada, with 17.3% in Western and 2.7% in Eastern Canada
- The average deal size was $1.731 million, 49% more than the 2015 figure
- 71% of funding falls within 2 sectors: Life Sciences (health related companies) and ICT (information-communication technology)
- 58% of syndicated deals involved a combination of multiple syndicate partners, 9% involved syndication with Venture Capital
- Central Canada continues to be the hotspot for Angel investment activity with 61% of investments made in the region
Download the 2016 NACO Report on Angel Investing in Canada